Monday, August 6, 2012

Welcome to the Party!

Attitude is everything, right?  So I have just won the genetic lottery!  Yay me! Let's throw a party! I have the BRCA1 gene that I inherited from my mother.  She is 73 and cancer free even though she has the genetic mutation.  I am 48, cancer free, and  I am facing the decision to have a bilateral prophylactic mastectomy and a hysterectomy  in order to reduce my chances of getting breast and/or ovarian cancer.  Right now I have an 87% chance of getting breast cancer and a 46% chance of getting ovarian cancer if I do not have the surgeries.  I am very glad that my aunt and mom decided to have the BRCA1 genetic testing done when they did.  As a result of their decisions, I was encouraged to meet with a genetic counselor to take the test. I put off taking this very simple blood test for three years.  THREE YEARS! What was I thinking? Well, I was in denial.  I didn't think it mattered.  I knew I would be fine.  That test couldn't be valid, could it?

Of course, I gave in and took the test when I had a "cancer scare." I decided that I was not ready to give in to cancer.  So now, even though I am facing not one, but two major surgeries in the very near future, I am counting my blessings that I have the opportunity to take control of my future, save my own life, and the lives of my three children (who may or may not be BRCA1 positive) all because I took a genetic test. Knowledge is power, people!  I have the opportunity to reduce my risk to 2%.  So, please pass the party hats!  My life is worth celebrating!  So is yours!

No comments:

Post a Comment